Tuesday, March 17, 2009

F*** My Life: Making money on people's misery

A few days ago, I've stumbled upon this rather controversial website that seems to be a favourite of some of my Facebook friends: F*** My Life. This site enables individuals to share their most embarrassing moments anonymously and comment on them. The lenght of shared "anecdotes" is very limited, which reminds me of Twitter.

Apart of self-critically admitting that only a few things cheer one up more than reading about other people's misery ;-), I find quite interesting, how you can make money on that.

Of course there are ads by Google. It's funny in a way what Google chooses as best targeted ads for this site's audience. 3D sexy chat for loners and a book telling you how to be popular with a very interesting banner:

On top of that, authors are proudly announcing that they declined offers made by others who wanted to buy & use the content of this site. Instead, they are enabling everybody to share the content for free through an API... of course only as long as there is a link back to the source. Clever? Maybe... smells kind of sneaky if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment